Safari 6 Brings Omnibar, Offline Reading List, Do Not Track, and More to OS X Lion

Jul 25, 2012 - 13 Comments

Safari 6

Right alongside the freshly launched OS X Mountain Lion, Apple has released Safari 6 for OS X Lion users. Users can download Safari 6 from Software Update via the  Apple menu.

The Omnibar, which Apple calls the “Smart Search Field”, is the biggest visible change, it combines the URL bar with the Search bar allowing for a much cleaner minimalist user interface that more closely resembles Google Chrome. The Omnibar is worth the update alone in our view, but there are a handful of other nice features that are also great like Offline Reading List, which saves complete web pages for reading later when you don’t have an internet connection, a Do Not Track option for enhanced web privacy, the Password Pane management tool for web logins, Baidu search for Chinese users, and a bunch of fixes and performance enhancements.

If you’re not upgrading to Mountain Lion today, do yourself a favor and at least get Safari 6.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, News

1. I noticed that the Omnibar removes the functionality of CMD+Return to add “.com” to a word. For example, if you type “osxdaily” and hit Return, it will do a Google search.

I guess that’s the long way of me saying I don’t like the Omnibar. I got quite used to hitting Tab to do a search and to hitting CMD+Return to head over to a .com. Hopefully, they will update the app to include this as an option.

2. Justin_Thyme says:

Safari 6.0 is great – as long as I do not try to open a website! Leave it blank and it sits there on my screen just fine. if I try to access any url, it crashes. I have turned off all extensions, uninstalled GLIMS, repaired permissions from terminal and still no access.

If I could, I would reinstall Safari 5.0 but Apple no longer has it available and I can’t find a copy in the “wild”.

I am having to use Firefox to be able to access the net.

HELP!!!

Any suggestions.

(BTW, I am still running 10.7.4) Based upon past experience and this new one, I will stay here for a while.

3. yomamma says:

Finally an easy way to add another tab instead of using cmd+t :)

4. Sheryl says:

I never particularly liked the Omnibar in Chrome, so am hardly excited about it in Safari. That, I can take or leave. I am exceptionally unhappy, though, that Safari 6 dropped feed reading support. Really? I used to like the direction OSX was going, but have not really found much anything, aside from Notifications, that I liked about Mountain Lion.

5. Cian de Locke says:

Despite other comments I liked backspace to go back in page history. Is there something I am missing? On my wish list – the ability to customise keys. I found that CMD + back arrow works but I miss backspace…

6. TVDN says:

So I guess its ok for Apple to copy everybody, but nobody can copy Apple… Justice in US…

7. Bob says:

When we are talking of features of Safari 6, where are the updates for topsites gone?

8. Will says:

I used to be able to add website bookmarks by right clicking the URL icon and that would pop up the save to where box where one could choose a folder. That doesn’t work now, I hope there is a way to bring that back.