iOS 16.2 Update Released for iPhone with Freeform, Karaoke for Apple Music, E2EE iCloud Encryption, Bug Fixes, etc
Apple has released iOS 16.2 update for iPhone users. The update includes a variety of new features, bug fixes, and security enhancements, and is therefore recommended for all iPhone users to install.
iOS 16.2 brings support for the digital collaboration app Freeform, a karaoke feature called Apple Music Sing, support for iCloud backup end-to-end encryption, lock screen widgets for medication and sleep, improvements to the Home app and homekit devices, a limit to AirDrop to be open to everyone for only 10 minutes, improvements that allow search in Messages to find things like dogs and cats in photos, a fix for a bug that caused Notes to sometimes not update through iCloud after changes were made, and more. Full release notes for iOS 16.2 are included below.
Separately, Apple has released iPadOS 16.2 for iPad, macOS Ventura 13.1 for Mac, along with updates for macOS Big Sur and Monterey, watchOS, HomePod, and tvOS. Older iPhone users will find iOS 15.7.2 available to download as well.
How to Download & Update to iOS 16.2
Before starting a software update, be sure you backup the iPhone to iCloud or a computer with Finder or iTunes.
- Open the “Settings” app on iPhone
- Go to “General”
- Select “Software Update”
- Select to “Download and Install” iOS 16.2
iOS 16.2 is about 1GB in size and will require the iPhone to restart to complete installation, as usual.
Users can also decide to update iOS system software with a Mac or Windows PC by using Finder or iTunes, respectively.
Advanced users can choose to update with IPSW firmware files as well, which are available to download from Apple.
iOS 16.2 IPSW Download Links
Firmware for iOS 16.2 is available directly from Apple:
iOS 16.2 Release Notes
Release notes included with the iOS 16.2 download are as follows:
– Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
– A flexible canvas lets you add files, images, stickies, and more
– Drawing tools let you sketch anywhere on the canvas with your finger
Apple Music Sing
– A new way to sing along with millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
– Fully adjustable vocals let you duet with the original artist, sing solo, or mix it up
– Newly enhanced beat-by-beat lyrics make it even easier to follow along with the music
Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
– New option expands the total number of iCloud data categories protected using end-to-end encryption to 23 — including iCloud Backup, Notes, and Photos — protecting your information even in the case of a data breach in the cloud
– New settings allow you to hide wallpaper or notifications when Always-On display is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Sleep widget lets you view your most recent sleep data
– Medications widget lets you view reminders and quickly access your schedule
– SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with the people you are on a FaceTime call with
– Activity Widget allows you to see what your friends are playing and achieving in games right from your Home Screen
– Live Activities for Apple TV app let you follow your favorite teams with live scores right on your Lock Screen or in Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between your smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
– Improved search in Messages allows you to find photos based on their content, like a dog, car, person, or text
– Turn Off Hide IP Address setting enables iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific site in Safari
– News articles in Weather display information relevant to the weather in that location
– Participant Cursors in Notes allow you to see live indicators as others make updates in a shared note
– AirDrop now automatically reverts to Contacts Only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content
– Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
– Fixes an issue that causes some notes not to sync with iCloud after updates are made
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
Separately, macOS Ventura 13.1 update for Mac is available along with updates for macOS Monterey and Big Sur, iPadOS 16.2 for iPad is available, along with updates for tvOS for Apple TV, HomeOS for HomePod, and watchOS for Apple Watch