iPadOS 16.2 Update for iPad Released to Download with Freeform, Bug Fixes, etc
iPadOS 16.2 update is now available for iPad users to download for their devices.
iPadOS 16.2 includes support for the Freeform collaborative canvas app, Stage Manager support for external displays for M1 or better iPad models, Apple Music Sing which offers karaoke in Apple Music, E2EE support for iCloud data, along with a handful of other smaller features, bug fixes, and security enhancements. It is recommended for all iPad users to install.
Separately, Apple has released iOS 16.2 for iPhone, macOS Ventura 13.1 for Mac, updates to macOS Monterey and Big Sur, and software updates for watchOS, HomePod, and tvOS. Older iPhone and iPad models will also find iOS 15.7.2 available as an update with security fixes.
How to Download & Install iPadOS 16.2 on iPad
Always backup to iCloud, iTunes, or Finder before starting a system software update on your device.
- Open the “Settings” app
- Go to “General”
- Choose “Software Update”
- Choose “Download and Install” to begin updating to iPadOS 16.2
iPadOS 16.2 is around 1GB in size and will require the iPad to restart to finish the update.
Users can also choose to update to iPadOS 16.2 with a computer by using Finder on a Mac, iTunes on a PC, or with IPSW firmware files from Apple to manually update the firmware on their devices.
iPadOS 16.2 IPSW Download Links
iPadOS 16.2 Release Notes
Release notes included with the update for iPadOS 16.2 are:
iPadOS 16.2 – Restart Required
Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
A flexible canvas lets you add files, images, stickies, and more
Drawing tools let you sketch anywhere on the canvas with your finger or Apple Pencil
External display support with resolutions up to 6K available on iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation and later), iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation and later), and iPad Air (5th generation)
Drag and drop files and windows from your compatible device to your connected display, and vice versa
Support for using up to 4 apps on the iPad display and 4 on the external display
Apple Music Sing
A new way to sing along with millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
Fully adjustable vocals let you duet with the original artist, sing solo, or mix it up
Newly enhanced beat-by-beat lyrics make it even easier to follow along with the music
Advanced Data Protection for iCloud
New option expands the total number of iCloud data categories protected using end-to-end encryption to 23 — including iCloud Backup, Notes, and Photos — protecting your information even in the case of a data breach in the cloud
SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with the people you are on a FaceTime call with
Activity Widget allows you to see what your friends are playing and achieving in games right from your Home Screen
Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between your smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
– Improved search in Messages allows you to find photos based on their content, like a dog, car, person, or text
– Tracking Notifications alert you if an AirTag separated from its owner is nearby and has recently played a chime to indicate it is moving
– Reload and Show IP Address setting enables iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific site in Safari
– News articles in Weather display information relevant to the weather in that location
– Participant Cursors in Notes allow you to see live indicators as others make updates in a shared note
– AirDrop now automatically reverts to Contacts Only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content
– Fixes an issue that causes some notes not to sync with iCloud after updates are made
– Fixes an issue that may cause Multi-Touch gestures to become unresponsive while using the Zoom accessibility feature
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222