MacOS Sonoma RC Available to Download
Apple has issued MacOS Sonoma Release Candidate to Mac users who are participating in the beta testing program for MacOS system software. The update is available to users enrolled in either the developer beta or public beta program, and MacOS Sonoma RC carries the build of 23A339.
Note that many M2 Mac users running Sonoma are not able to find the MacOS Sonoma RC available to download on their computers. The Sonoma RC download not showing katup on M2 Macs is a widely reported issue on Apple’s forums as well as throughout social media, and the web of Apple-fan sites like the one you’re reading right now.
MacOS Sonoma features over 100 new screen savers and wallpapers, a neat moving wallpaper feature, a redesigned Lock Screen, the ability to place widgets for things like weather and stocks on the Mac desktop, FaceTime Video Voicemail support, Safari Profiles support, along with many smaller features and improvements.
Separately, Apple has also issued iOS 17 RC, iPadOS 17 RC, watchOS 10 RC, and tvOS 17 RC to beta testers running those operating systems on their Apple devices.
How to Download MacOS Sonoma RC Update
If you’re currently running a macOS Sonoma beta then downloading the RC build is easy:
- Go to the Apple menu
- Go to “System Settings”
- Choose “General”
- Select “Software Update”
- Click on “Update Now” for MacOS Sonoma 14 to download and install the release candidate build
Note: Many M2 chip equipped Macs are not finding MacOS Sonoma RC available to download, and are stuck on beta 7. This will likely change in the near future as the update continues to roll out further. Some users have reported success by switching from the Sonoma dev beta to public beta track, or vice versa, and then refreshing the Software Update control panel.
The Mac will restart to complete installation.
Apple has said that MacOS Sonoma will be released on September 26.
Download MacOS Sonoma RC IPSW
While the full package installer is not yet available, you can download an IPSW file of the RC build of Sonoma, which can be used for virtual machines and for restoring Apple Silicon Macs.
MacOS Sonoma RC Release Notes
Release notes included with the download are as follows:
macOS Sonoma brings all-new capabilities that elevate your productivity and creativity. Discover even more ways to personalize your Mac with stunning screensavers and widgets that you can add to your desktop. Elevate your presence on video calls with a new way to present your work that keeps you a part of the presentation. Safari profiles and web apps help you organize your browsing in all-new ways. Game Mode boosts your gaming performance. Sonoma also brings big updates to Messages, Keyboard, and Accessibility. And when you upgrade, you get the latest security and privacy protections available for Mac.
● Stunning screen savers of locations from around the world seamlessly become your desktop wallpaper when you log-in
● Shuffle settings for rotating through screensavers by theme including Landscape, Cityscape, Underwater, and Earth
● Widgets can be placed anywhere on the desktop and adapt to the color of your wallpaper while working in apps
● iPhone widgets can be added to your Mac when your iPhone is nearby or on the same Wi-Fi network
● Interactive widgets let you take actions directly from the widget such as running a shortcut, pausing media, and more
● Presenter Overlay keeps you front and center while sharing your screen in FaceTime or third-party video conferencing apps (Mac with Apple silicon)
● Reactions layer 3D effects like hearts, balloons, confetti, and more around you in video calls and can be triggered with gestures (Mac with Apple silicon, Continuity Camera with iPhone 12 and later)
Safari and Passwords
● Profiles keep your browsing separate for topics like work and personal, separating your history, cookies, extensions, Tab Groups, and favorites
● Web apps let you use any website like an app, complete with an icon in the Dock for faster access and a simplified toolbar for easier browsing
● Enhanced Private Browsing locks your private browsing windows when you’re not using them, blocks known trackers from loading, and removes tracking that identifies you from URLs
● Password and passkey sharing allows you to easily share accounts with trusted contacts
● Live Stickers sync from iOS and iPadOS to macOS, giving you access to the Live Stickers you create on your iPhone and iPad
● Search filters for people, keywords, and content types like photos or links help vou more easilv find what vou are looking for
● Swipe to reply inline on any iMessage bubble
● Game Mode gives games the highest priority on the CPU and GPU, delivering more consistent frame rates and lower latency to wireless controllers and AirPods (Mac with Apple silicon)
● Improved autocorrect accuracy makes typing even easier by leveraging a more powerful transformer-based language model
● Inline predictive text shows single- and multi-word predictions that you can add by pressing the Space bar
● Improved Dictation experience supports using your voice and keyboard together to enter and edit text
● Adaptive Audio delivers a new listening mode that dynamically blends Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency to tailor the noise control experience based on the conditions of your environment (AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with the latest firmware)
● Personalized Volume adjusts the volume of your media in response to your environment and listening preferences over time (AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with the latest firmware)
● Conversation Awareness lowers vour media volume and enhances the voices of the people in front of the user, all while reducing background noise (AirPods Pro (2nd generation) with the latest firmware)
● Press to mute and unmute your microphone by pressing the AirPods stem or the Digital Crown on AirPods Max when on a call (AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro (1st and 2nd generation), or
AirPods Max with the latest firmware)
● Improved AirPods automatic switching now detects Mac up to 2X faster (AirPods (2nd and 3rd generation), AirPods Pro (1st and 2nd generation), AirPods Max with the latest firmware)
● Sensitive Content Warnings can be enabled to help prevent users from unexpectedly viewing sensitive images in Messages
● Expanded Communication Safetv protections for children now detect videos containing nudity in addition to photos shared through Messages and the system Photos picker
● Improved sharing permissions let you choose which photos to share and add calendar events without providing access to vour entire photo library or calendar
● Live Speech lets you type what you want to say and reads it aloud in FaceTime calls or in-person conversations
● Personal Voice helps users at risk of speech loss create a voice that sounds like them in a private and secure way using on-device machine learning
● Made for iPhone compatible hearing devices can be paired and used with Mac (MacBook Pro (2021), Mac Studio (2022), and Mac computers with M2 chip)
This release also includes other features and improvements:
● One-Time verification code AutoFill from Mail helps you quickly sign into sites in Safari, without leaving the browser
● Inline PDFs and document scans in Notes are presented full-width making them easy to view Grocery Lists in Reminders automatically group related items into sections as you add them
● Visual Look Up for recipes helps you find similar dishes from photo
● Visual Look Up in video helps you learn about objects that appear in paused video frames
● Pets in the People album in Photos surfaces individual pets just like friends or family members
● Option to say “Siri” in addition to “Hey Siri” for a more natural way to activate Siri (Mac with Apple silicon, AirPods Pro (2nd generation))
● High performance mode in Screen Sharing supports color workflows and improves responsiveness while remotely accessing a Mac (Mac with Apple silicon)
● Item sharing in Find My allows you to share an AirTag with up to five other people
● Activity History in Home displays a recent history of events for door locks, garage doors, security systems, and contact sensors
● Battery health management updated on 13-inch MacBook Air with M2 chip to better optimize long term battery health
● Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices.
To learn more about macOS Sonoma, please visit: https:// www.apple.com/macOS/Sonoma
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222