Enter & Exit iPhone Recovery Mode

Jan 8, 2011 - 47 Comments

iphone recovery mode Recovery Mode is what your iPhone goes into when you are doing a standard iOS upgrade or restore, but you may want to put your iPhone into recovery mode for other reasons (often related to a jailbreak).

Remember, Recovery Mode is different than DFU mode because DFU mode bypasses the bootloader which allows for things like downgrading firmware. You can not downgrade firmware with Recovery Mode, you can only upgrade or restore.

Enter iPhone Recover Mode

Here’s how to enter into recovery mode, this works on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

1. Disconnect the USB cable from your iPhone, but leave the other side connected to your Mac or PC
  2. Launch iTunes
  3. Press and hold down the Home and Sleep/Power button on the top of the iPhone to turn off the iPhone
  4. Press and continue to hold the Home button while you reconnect the USB cable to your iPhone, this will cause the iPhone to turn on
  5. Continue to hold the Home button until an alert message in iTunes informing you that an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected, like the screenshot below:

iphone recover mode detected

Your iPhone is now in recovery mode. If you have not launched iTunes, you will see the familiar screen of the USB cable pointing at the iTunes logo signaling to connect the iPhone to iTunes to start recovery.

Once you’re in recovery mode, you can either restore the iPhone or adjust the firmware as necessary (you can download iPhone firmware here).

After restoring or upgrading firmware, your iPhone will automatically reboot and exit recovery mode on it’s own.

Exit iPhone Recovery Mode

You can typically exit recovery by doing the following:

• Hold down the home and power button for about 15 seconds, this shuts off the iPhone
  • Press the power button to boot the iPhone

If you are stuck in recovery mode (or DFU) and you do not want to do a restore or firmware upgrade, you can use a tool like TinyUmbrella or RecBoot to escape too. If you are still stuck that usually means you must re-install iOS firmware.

Posted by: Manish Patel in iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. [...] is a great tool for Mac OS X that allows you to easily enter and exit iPhone recovery mode without manually holding down any of the [...]

• Steve Graham says:

Well, you might still have chances to recover the deleted iPhone photos. Not from iPhone or iTunes, just from your Mac machine. It just depends on when your deletion happens, before or after your most recent sync? If this happened after that, then probably you could rely on this data recovery program to get the lost photos back. Regards.

ipadconverter-mac.com/iphone-recovery/

2. [...] Troubleshooting, iPhone – January 16th, 2011 – No Comments If you forgot your iPhone passcode you can bypass the lock screen completely and reset the passcode by using iPhone recovery mode. [...]

3. Venu says:

May I know how we can reinstall firmware?

4. [...] firmware, downgrade, or jailbreak, it’s not terribly unusual for an iPhone to get stuck in Recovery Mode. You’ll know you’re stuck because the phone displays the classic USB to iTunes logo, [...]

5. James Good says:

Thanks my phone froze and would not switch off or update, even apple support didnt come up with this solution ??

6. emanuel says:

i tried recboot and it didn’t work. nothing not i’ve tried worked. help please cus i’m sooo stuck

7. bee says:

Will my contacts be gone, or my new text messages?

8. [...] Posts Make sure you have current iTunes, back up your wifes iphone, enter recovery mode Enter & Exit iPhone Recovery Mode click restore once itunes recognizes it, it will restore to the current firmware, 4.3.4 as of [...]

9. erayou says:

i ve got iphone 3gs try to put it in the recovery mode but not working, tried many times. there is no software can help to put iphone on the recovery mode.

10. Maya says:

wonderful! i almost had a heart attack when it wouldnt start…thank you!!

11. Maya says:

wonderful! i almost had a heart attack when it wouldnt start…thank you!!

12. turp says:

thx…. this has restored my 3GS completly. I was finally able to update to ios5.

13. rifqi andi says:

i can’t restore as it keeps on saying error (2006) or something like that everytime i click restore in my itunes…

14. yourotherleft says:

my old macbook that my wife has been using to sync is still running osx 10.4… is there a version recboot or something else that will still run on 10.4?

15. muhmd says:

my phone now when i start it tell me have to connect with itunes i did connect coming message say “itune discover that your iphone on the recovery mode restore before it can’t used by itunes” i did restore and on the third part coming a message told me that “there is unknown error and give me that number (11051)

16. wayupnorth says:

I too tried the recovery steps and its not working. Still has the pic of the USB cord w/arrow pointing up to itune logo. And also says when connected to the computer that it is in recovery mode! Freaking out and completely frustrated?!?!?!?!

17. [...] stopped at the white Apple logo and the iPhone never boots. This is different than being stuck on Recovery Mode, which shows the ‘Connect to iTunes” graphic on the iPhone screen, but can be fixed in [...]

18. hanna says:

my phone is disabeled for 30min i tried the usb to my pc and nothing pops up for itunes.? i really need help

19. Amanda says:

My iPhone 4s is stuck in recovery mode I try to restore nearly finishes then a MSG comes up and says unknown error 1 wat can I do plz help have had help from apple and would like to use my iPhone 4s

20. siti says:

my computer says that the itunes could not connect as it has a passcode. and thaat i have to enter the passcode first. but i forgot my passcode

21. jake says:

i love you so much

22. apple says:

what i will do to my it the phone 4s ? iforgot the pass code :( please help me

23. Gunther says:

thanks very much for this, helped me out. The phone was not recognized by itunes so I did not know how to restore it. this fixed the issue , thanks.!

24. aj says:

works fukn gr8 m8!!!! cheerz

25. chin says:

i have a 3g iphone which is stuck in recovery mode…………help me please

26. chin says:

i keep getting…the iphone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred (1015)

27. Prashanth says:

Thanks a Ton..!
    I had made my iPhone 3GS blank and almost useless.
    Your solutions indeed worked for me.

28. Polash khan says:

I forget my apple id & pass pls help me

29. Toby says:

Have you tried to use Data Recovery for iTunes, You can use it to scan the lost data and choose what you want to recover. It can recover photos, videos, SMS and other multimedia files from both Mac hard drive and other iOS devices with high quality, its free to try.
    video-converter-mac.org/data-recovery-for-itunes/

30. Beti says:

Whew! Thank you for your help!

31. hope says:

32. Ryan valley says:

Thanks guys i love you website i thought i was never gonna be able to get in my iphone ever again

33. Oestrus says:

Hi Guys.

I have a real trouble. I forgot the lock code number on my iPhone 5 and I do not have my notebook with my paired iTunes availiable because I am abroad. The only computer with iTunes is the friend’s one. But when I connect to his iTunes, it says that there is a lock code and it won’t connect. Does any one know how to solve this?

I read that the only way is to put it into recovery mode. But when I do, will the iPhone be able to connect to the friend’s iTunes?

Thank you for any recommendations.

34. Michelle says:

Ive been doing the recovery mode and it seems that everything is going well then it just exits from itunes, my phone goes back to the screen that says passcode disabled, connect to Itunes, I have done this about 5 times and really frustrated, need to restore but it wont let me??

• Jane says:

Had the same problem. It turned out my phone had been water damaged. The phone worked fine for the first 24 hours after the water damage occurred then went into the slide for emergency mode. Your phone repairer can pop off the cover and check this for you for free in front of you. There are dots under the cover which change colour if they come into contact with water.

35. Molly says:

Hi, My husbands iphone 4 is stuck on the USB Itunes screen, I think thats the recovery mode. I have tried what has been suggested above and not working. Itunes is no longer recognising his iphone. He was in the process of updating it.

36. franko says:

ive followed the steps but instead of that yellow triangle i got a msg saying :the iphone software update server could not be contacted….
    what do i do?

37. john and gwen says:

Me and my 11 year old daughter was able to fix her phone with theese directions first time around. AWESOME!!!!! 10/10

38. Marnette Kamble says:

Hi, I have an old iphone 3 that was connected and ‘registered’ on my imac, have done that about a year ago. I now have an iphone 4s and tonight when I connected my phone (I dont know if I presses something or what), but it is if the data on my iphone 4s has been completely replaced by all the old data that was on my iphone 3, even the old system, all the pictures and messages has been lost, what have I done wrong, how do I retrieve the data?

39. loxy says:

Hello, I have jailbroken iPhone 4 and i have tried to update iOS 6 over my iPhone but I didn’t managed. Blinking apple logo showed up and I tried to enter recovery mode. The message appeared on iTunes and wanted me to put my old iOS back but it also warned my that all my data will be erased. Then i clicked on no and when i wanted to connect iPhone to iTunes again it couldn’t recognize the iPhone. What should I do now? How can I bring it back? Please help me, it’s urgent!

40. darryl says:

ahh i think i better go and try that , tell you when it has worked

41. kin says:

i did the exit recovery mode bt still the conect to iphone logo is there and my phone is nt started

42. Jes says:

Hi, The above procedure didnt work for me. The below worked.
    1, Turn off the phone with the top button only.