Check Battery Status of Connected Devices from iOS Notification Center

Nov 4, 2015 - 19 Comments

Check the battery life of connected Bluetooth devices from iOS Notification Center

Notification Center on iPhone and iPad includes an optional widget that allows users to check the battery life of other devices connected through Bluetooth. Essentially this means you can quickly see what the remaining battery percentage of not just the device in hand, but also of an Apple Watch from an iPhone, or keyboard battery life from an iPad, all without having to access the device itself.

Additionally, the batteries widget allows users to see whether a connected device is charging or not. Here’s how you can access this handy Battery check feature, given the device has iOS 9 or later installed and there are connected Bluetooth devices:

1. From anywhere in iOS, swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal Notification Center, then tap on the “Today” tab if you’re not already there
  2. Look for the “Batteries” section to view the battery life, charge status, and percentage remaining of each device connected through Bluetooth

See the battery life of connected devices from iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Notification Center

Simple, and helpful. The little lightning bolt icon indicates the device is connected to the charger.

If you don’t see the Batteries section, confirm that you’re in the Today section of Notification Center. If nothing is visible in the list, you need to enable the battery list by scrolling to the bottom of the Notification Center screen, tap on “Edit” and then locate the Battery listing and add it manually.

How useful this is to you is likely dependent on whether or not you use a paired Apple Watch, external Bluetooth speakers, an external Bluetooth keyboard, and other related hardware paired with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you use none of those accessories, then simply showing the percentage remaining at the top of the iPhone screen is likely sufficient for getting an idea of what individual device battery remaining is.

One thing this feature is missing which would be a great addition? The ability to check a related MacBook battery, as well as seeing the remaining battery of other iOS devices, perhaps in a future version we’ll gain such a function.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in iPad, iPhone, Tips & Tricks

1. David Kaplan says:

Running iOS 9.1 on a 5s. Can’t see a battery widget anywhere in the installed or uninstalled choices… Could it be hardware dependent?

• Mark says:

I have a 5S too and I cannot see it.

I had a Battery app that was in the notifications but i deleted the app hoping it may reveal.

No such luck. :-(

I am guessing 5S is no go??

2. floris says:

Note: This ONLY shows if you have a bluetooth device like a keyboard or the watch paired, and it’s not something you turn on or off to show. Thank you osxdaily for posting this handy tip. I use Launcher app by the way to show the battery indicator, which I set to link to the low-power mode switcher for quick on/off flip.

3. George says:

Same here, using iPhone 6 with IOS 9.1

4. Guy says:

Does this only show the battery status of Apple devices? I am not seeing my connected Logitech Headset listed.

• Sebastian says:

Some devices work, and some don’t, my BT headphones will show up alongside my phone and watch, however my JBL GO BT speaker does not show up, it just depends on the compatability.

5. Luiz Ferrarezi says:

Nothing here, and I have a Pebble Watch paired. I will try with a keyboard.

6. Marc says:

Same – I have a Belkin keyboard connected to my iPad on iOS 8.4.1.

7. Tom McKay says:

I have 6s with IOS with 9.1. there is NO battery widget!

8. Jimmy Wilson says:

Same here…had my Apple keyboard paired with my iPad 4 last night…nothing. NO battery widget in sight! I also had my Parrot ZIK headphones paired, nothing showing there either. Disappointing as this would be a great feature.

9. Jason says:

Seems like the iphone battery ONLY shows when something else is connected via Bluetooth.

I enabled this feature and it didn’t show up in my Today screen. I turned on my Plantronics BT headset – BAM both headset and iPhone appeared.

It’s a bit redundant though, the BT headset’s battery level also shows up at the top near my battery icon and clock.

10. David Hutchinson says:

All:

Not every Bluetooth device supports battery status checking via Bluetooth. There must be at least one Bluetooth device that supports Bluetooth battery status connected for the widget to appear and show anything. You do not need an Apple Watch for this to work – but the Apple watch does support Bluetooth battery status so having one does guarantee that the widget will appear. Other devices, such as JBL Bluetooth headsets, also cause the widget to appear. Logitech support for Bluetooth battery status is spotty – it depends upon the device and most do not support.

The link above – that you must have an Apple Watch – is faulty cause and effect thinking. In reality you must have a Bluetooth device that supports Bluetooth battery status monitoring paired with your iPhone to see the widget. The Apple Watch is just one example of hardware that will trigger the widget.

-D

11. Sakitumi says:

I really like the improvements that came with iOS 9.1 but the battery notifications feature is miles away from that similar feature in Windows Phone 8.1. I hope Apple developers will inspire from other developers work in the future and bring what’s best.

12. John Chrapkowski says:

I have an apple watch, IOS 9.2 on a 5S. Battery is an option but won’t show anything! Any idea?