How to Remove the Audio Track from a Video with iMovie for Mac
Need to remove the audio track of a movie? iMovie on the Mac can make quick work of that, so as long as you have iMovie in Mac OS X you’ll be on your way to turning a movie with sound into a silent movie. This is helpful for when you need to add a new audio track, record a new audio track, or just remove an existing background audio track for whatever reason on any video file.
We’re going to show you exactly how to remove the audio track from any video file by using nothing more than iMovie. You may recall that we’ve shown you a few ways to extract the audio from a video file, but this is for those who to remove the audio track from a movie completely. Although audio removal can’t be done right in the Finder like extracting an audio track can be, it is very easy to ditch the background audio.
Let’s learn how to do this with the help of iMovie for Mac, and yes this works with all versions of the app on just about every version of Mac OS software.
Removing Audio from a Video with iMovie in Mac OS X
- Open iMovie and pull down the File menu, selecting “Import” followed by “Movies” and locate the movie you want to strip audio from
- Drag the video from the Event viewer into the Project library
- Right-click on the video and choose “Detach Audio” to split the video from the audio track, the audio attack will appear in purple below the video track
- Click the purple audio track and hit the Delete key to remove the audio
- Now you can either record a new voiceover, add a new audio track, or just export the video with no audio at all
There are other methods to do this using third party tools, but iMovie is bundled with most Macs these days and it makes quick work of the process.
At this point, your video file no longer has any audio attached to it, so you can either record a new audio track, add a new voice over, add music or different tunes and sound effects, whatever you need to do for your movie. iMovie makes it easy in Mac OS X, so happy video editing Mac users!