iOS 16.1 Update Available to Download for iPhone
iOS 16.1 for iPhone has been released as a software update for all eligible devices running iOS 16.
The iOS 16.1 update for iPhone comes alongside iPadOS 16.1 for iPad, and macOS Ventura 13 for Mac.
iOS 16.1 includes a few new features, including support for iCloud Shared Photo Library, Live Activities for the Home Screen, support for a savings account in the Wallet app, and along with bug fixes to address some issues with iOS 16. The full release notes accompanying the download for iOS 16.1 are included below.
How to Download & Install iOS 16.1 Update on iPhone
Be sure to backup the iPhone to iCloud, Finder, or iTunes, before beginning the software update process.
- Open the “Settings” app
- Go to “General”
- Choose “Software Update”
- Choose “Download and Install” to begin updating to iOS 16.1
iOS 16.1 is around 1GB in size and will require the iPhone to restart to complete installation.
Users can also decide to install the iOS 16.1 update using a computer with Finder or iTunes, or by using IPSW firmware files.
iOS 16.1 IPSW Download Links
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE 2nd Generation
- iPhone SE 3rd Generation
iOS 16.1 Release Notes
This update introduces iCloud Shared Photo Library making it easy to keep your family photos up to date. This release also adds support for third party apps in Live Activities, support for Apple Fitness+ on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch, and includes other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.
iCloud Shared Photo Library
– Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
– Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
– Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
– Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
– Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
– Live Activities from third party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
– Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
– Key sharing enables you to securely share car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
– Savings account enables Apple Card customers to grow their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high yield savings account
– Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
Clean Energy Charging
– New setting that can try to reduce your carbon footprint by selectively charging when lower carbon emission electricity is available
– Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
– Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages
– Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
– CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
While there are no mention of resolving battery life problems that some users encountered with iOS 16, if you had experienced that issue it’s always worthwhile to install the available software updates anyway.