TurboTax does not work with Google Chrome

Mar 15, 2010 - 7 Comments

turbotax does not work with google chrome

It’s tax time in the USA, which means everyone is either going to be happy with a refund or sad when they owe. If you want to file your taxes online and you use Google Chrome, be sure to skip TurboTax though, which does not support the browser.

Adding insult to injury is the supported browser list: TurboTax supports IE6, but doesn’t support Chrome? WTF? Google Chrome is my favorite web browser by far, so I was pretty annoyed to find this out. I imagine this is just a simple user agent detection, since other WebKit browsers are supported (Safari), but what a boneheaded maneuver by TurboTax.

FYI: this effects all OS’s using the Chrome browser, and has been tested to not work in Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. Grr.

Posted by: David Mendez in News, Troubleshooting

1. Dave M. says:

I’m sorry, but you expected TurboTax to support a “BETA” browser and were surprised that it supported a browser that’s been around for many years? Really?

I don’t mean to sound rude here, but it seems that you expect way to much from corporate America. I, on the other hand, would be surprised if it supported browsers like OmniWeb, Camino, Netscape, etc… They are just not mainstream browsers and its hard enough to put together websites without having to write special code for every browser/OS combination out there.

2. Fred says:

Works fine with my Google Chrome.

• grenadeh says:

No it doesn’t. You are a liar. I am sitting on turbotax right now on Chrome with it not working and I’m pretty sure when I did my taxes 1 year ago at this time on TT, it didn’t work on Chrome then either.

Chrome was not a Beta browser in 2010. Get a clue.

3. [...] TurboTax does not work with Google Chrome – OS X Daily [...]

4. Bob Meighan says:

Simply because TurboTax does not support Chrome does not mean it does not work. It simply means we have not tested it to ensure functionality and display compatibility. I would suggest you try it as I’m quite certain it will work quite well. Plus as another person has stated, Chrome is still in beta. It has not released as an official product yet.

Bob Meighan
    VP, TurboTax

5. Stuart Morgan says:

Bob, how do you suggest that people try it? With the exception of a handful of hard-coded exceptions that get a button to continue, TurboTax forbids entry to every browser that isn’t on its whitelist (an extremely unfortunate change in policy from several years ago, when unknown browsers only got a warning). You’ll notice that there’s no button to continue in the screenshot above (compare with the page you get in Camino, for which there is a special exemption in the JavaScript).

If you believe that people should have the choice of making an informed decision and using a browser that you haven’t tested (which I would certainly applaud), then you should default unknown browsers to the warning-with-continue-button mode (what TurboTax’s browser-check JavaScript calls “YELLOW” mode), and only forbid entry to browsers you have specifically chosen to exclude, like very old versions of browsers.

6. Netizen says:

Turbo Tax works Just fine with Crome and Chromium.

Use the following URL to get in and bypass the browser checks.