A Horse in the Apple Store, Yes Seriously, a Horse

Sep 24, 2010 - 16 Comments

horse in apple store

This right here is a tiny horse, alongside a customer, in an Apple Store. Yes, I did a double-take too.

What? Where? How? Why? Who knows! But one of our readers sent in this (maybe) unusual picture of a guy inside an Apple store with a miniature horse (pony?) next to him. Perhaps the best part about this picture is that everyone else in the store is ignoring it and totally nonchalant, maybe seeing a pony in an Apple Store is not so unusual after all? As an animal lover myself, you know if Apple allows it, then hey, why not?

Perhaps it’s a registered therapy pony or a service horse? Or maybe it’s just someones pet and they brought it along?

Or maybe the little horse just wanted to check out the latest Apple gear? Maybe the horse was contemplating an upgrade to a new iMac?

Update: As a few commenters pointed out, the pony appears very likely to be a service animal. In that case, obviously the horse would be allowed to enter into any building as it assists the accompanying individual. So good for that customer for bringing their pony along!

Whatever the explanation and whatever the reason, what a great picture, huh?

Posted by: William Pearson in Fun

1. Joakim says:

At least have the decency to do a quick google and link to the original blog, which I found quite insightful:

2. Mike says:

I noticed that the man is in a wheel chair. That would make the miniature horse a service animal.

3. lorn says:

Are animals allowed in stores?

4. Mikey says:

Service animals are required by law to be permitted in places of business that are open to the public.

5. Skeptic says:

I do not believe this story, a baby horse is not a seeing eye dog. What happens when the horse becomes a full grown beast? Gallop through the shopping mall? Hardly a nimble assistant.

6. […] allow tiny little Chis onto their premises, even when carried, I just had to share this link… Horse in the Apple Store – OS X Daily […]

7. StephenG says:

It was probably hungry and wanted an apple

8. Gnuut says:

Service horse? I’d call that total abuse of a well-intentioned law.
    Exactly what function does a horse perform, and who gets to clean up after it when it fouls the floor in this public place?

9. Kristi says:

Yeah, they can have them on airplanes, too. Don’t ask me how I know. When you’re a flight attendant you see…just about everything :)

Just so everyone knows, though, the horse is not wearing the appropriate service handle which is more of a harness for the horse.

And the “guy” who actually looks like a woman…is definitely just sitting on one of the regular black stools. The only “service” miniature horses are considered able to provide is a guide service to the blind. Last I checked most blind people aren’t in wheelchairs :)

10. garry says:

I thinks it’s a genius. lol

11. […] indeed. An astronaut may not be the strangest thing spotted in an Apple Store though, last year a miniature horse was seen next to a Genius […]