Jailbreak iOS 5 with Redsn0w
iOS 5 can already be jailbroken thanks to the iPhone Dev Team’s quick release of a new version of redsn0w (0.9.9b7). This is currently a tethered jailbreak, but an untether is in progress.
Redsn0w will work to jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 CDMA & GSM, iPod touch 3rd & 4th gen, and iPad 1. Not supported yet are iPhone 4S and iPad 2 devices, due to their use of the A5 CPU.
Download redsn0w 0.9.9b7
Jailbreaking iOS 5
- Launch Redsn0w and choose the “Jailbreak” button
- Connect the iOS device to the computer and turn the hardware off
- Enter DFU mode by holding down the Sleep/Power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button for another 15 seconds. You will get a notification from Redsn0w informing you of the device being in DFU mode
- Point redsn0w to your iOS 5 IPSW file (older version)
- Redsn0w will now perform the jailbreak, the newest version does not require you to have to point to any IPSW files because it downloads them directly from Apple
- Choose “Install Cydia” and proceed with the jailbreak
Now you need to boot the iOS device tethered to get Cydia to load:
- Open redsn0w again
- Click on “Extras” and select the iOS 5 IPSW you downloaded in the previous step
- Back at the Extras menu, click on the “Just Boot” option and follow the on screen instructions to boot into the jailbroken device
Your iOS device will automatically reboot as jailbroken, you can confirm this by looking for the Cydia icon on your springboard. As previously stated, this is a tethered jailbreak so you will need to connect your iPhone, iPad, or ipod touch to a computer and boot it with the assistance of Redsn0w if the battery dies or you shut it down for another reason. This is easy to do, just launch Redsn0w again and choose “Just Boot” again from the Extras menu.