Don’t Like Something in OS X Yosemite? Let Apple Know with Feedback Assistant
Now that OS X Yosemite is in open public beta and generating considerable interest from Mac users, a fair amount of complaints or frustrations have surfaced both in our comments and around the web on forums. Whether it’s a pestering bug, a beloved feature that has gone missing or that was tweaked in Yosemite, something that changed, the new font, the window restyling, transparencies, the loss of Dashboard, Dark Mode, or whatever else you want to offer feedback about, this is your chance.
The entire point of the public beta of OS X Yosemite is to gather feedback from a variety of end users with regard to features and functionality. Apple is even making it simple to offer your perspective, report bugs, or suggest improvements, with the bundled Feedback Assistant app.
Having encountered a fair amount of novice users who installed Yosemite Beta, and who weren’t really aware of the ease in which you can send feedback directly to Apple with Feedback Assistant, we’re going to walk through it really quickly. Obviously advanced Mac users probably already know this, so this is really aimed at more casual OS X users who are running the OS X 10.10 Beta, but haven’t had much experience with beta testing or the Developer Preview builds before.
Send Apple General Feedback & Problem Reports with OS X Yosemite
Got a general issue, problem, or request for OS X? Here’s where you can offer feedback directly to Apple.
- Open Feedback Assistant from the Dock in OS X (it’s there by default), it’s a purple icon with a ! bang on it – if you removed Feedback Assistant from the Dock then just open it with Spotlight
- Pull down the File menu and choose “New Problem Report”
- Fill in the details of what you are having an issue with and answer the appropriate questions regarding when, where, and how it happens, then choose “Continue”
- Optionally, attach a screen shot or several to demonstrate the problem or issue
- Send the Yosemite feedback on in to Apple
Congratulations, you just sent feedback to Apple about the Yosemite beta. Easy, right? You can then use Feedback Assistant to keep track of the issues you submitted.
Send Application Specific Feedback to Apple
Having an application specific issue that deserves some feedback? You can easily submit feedback for apps too. Keep in mind this is intended for Apple provided applications, not third party applications from developers who have yet to update their apps for Yosemite:
- From the application in question, pull down the “Help” menu and choose “Send (application) feedback”
- Fill out the details, attach screen shots as necessary, and submit to Apple
Just as easy as sending in general OS X feedback, except beginning the process from an application will immediately launch Feedback Assistant for you.
Remember, broader feedback is the entire point of Apple offering a public beta with Yosemite, so don’t be shy. If you find a bug, if you don’t like something, if you think something could be better, or if some app or feature is not behaving as anticipated, let Apple know with Feedback Assistant. It only takes a moment, and you just may shape the future of OS X!