Don’t Like Something in OS X Yosemite? Let Apple Know with Feedback Assistant

Jul 28, 2014 - 23 Comments

Send Feedback to Apple about OS X Yosemite Now that OS X Yosemite is in open public beta and generating considerable interest from Mac users, a fair amount of complaints or frustrations have surfaced both in our comments and around the web on forums. Whether it’s a pestering bug, a beloved feature that has gone missing or that was tweaked in Yosemite, something that changed, the new font, the window restyling, transparencies, the loss of Dashboard, Dark Mode, or whatever else you want to offer feedback about, this is your chance.

The entire point of the public beta of OS X Yosemite is to gather feedback from a variety of end users with regard to features and functionality. Apple is even making it simple to offer your perspective, report bugs, or suggest improvements, with the bundled Feedback Assistant app.

(Quick note for users not in the Public Beta program: we’ve mentioned it a while back, but you can send Apple feedback on any other product or application through their official Feedback website)

Having encountered a fair amount of novice users who installed Yosemite Beta, and who weren’t really aware of the ease in which you can send feedback directly to Apple with Feedback Assistant, we’re going to walk through it really quickly. Obviously advanced Mac users probably already know this, so this is really aimed at more casual OS X users who are running the OS X 10.10 Beta, but haven’t had much experience with beta testing or the Developer Preview builds before.

Send Apple General Feedback & Problem Reports with OS X Yosemite

Got a general issue, problem, or request for OS X? Here’s where you can offer feedback directly to Apple.

1. Open Feedback Assistant from the Dock in OS X (it’s there by default), it’s a purple icon with a ! bang on it – if you removed Feedback Assistant from the Dock then just open it with Spotlight
  2. Feedback Assistant in Yosemite

3. Pull down the File menu and choose “New Problem Report”
  4. New Feedback in Feedback Assistant

5. Fill in the details of what you are having an issue with and answer the appropriate questions regarding when, where, and how it happens, then choose “Continue”
  6. Send Apple feedback about OS X Yosemite

7. Optionally, attach a screen shot or several to demonstrate the problem or issue
  8. Send the Yosemite feedback on in to Apple

Congratulations, you just sent feedback to Apple about the Yosemite beta. Easy, right? You can then use Feedback Assistant to keep track of the issues you submitted.

Send Application Specific Feedback to Apple

Having an application specific issue that deserves some feedback? You can easily submit feedback for apps too. Keep in mind this is intended for Apple provided applications, not third party applications from developers who have yet to update their apps for Yosemite:

1. From the application in question, pull down the “Help” menu and choose “Send (application) feedback”
  2. Fill out the details, attach screen shots as necessary, and submit to Apple

Just as easy as sending in general OS X feedback, except beginning the process from an application will immediately launch Feedback Assistant for you.

Remember, broader feedback is the entire point of Apple offering a public beta with Yosemite, so don’t be shy. If you find a bug, if you don’t like something, if you think something could be better, or if some app or feature is not behaving as anticipated, let Apple know with Feedback Assistant. It only takes a moment, and you just may shape the future of OS X!

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Troubleshooting

1. Font Daemon says:

OK can we get a universal call to action, massive feedback, on the freaking !HORRIBLE FONT! in Yosemite?

The font is so bad, it’s tiny and surely I’m not the only one it’s causing eye strain for and I have pretty good vision! Imagine someone with less than perfect eyesight using this thing… oh Jony Ive, Helvetica Neue is the worst. Bold that sucker, for the love of eyesight.

And yes I sent a report about the font, did you? Please do.

• Kevin says:

Nope. Your on your own there. It’s a softer, more rounded font, much easier on the eye. I hope they ignore you complaint.

• Pepe says:

He is definitely not the only one not liking the new font. It looks very blurry and pixelated on non-retina displays. Shame.

• Paul says:

It seems that most of the font complaints are from users without Retina displays, and most who have a Retina display don’t mind the font. Perhaps they just need an alternate font weight toggle for Macs with non-Retina screens?

• DCJ001 says:

If you are talking about the font that is used in the menu bar, it is more easily ready by enabling Dark Mode in the General System Preferences.

2. Alex says:

I happen to like the font, I have no issues reading anything on it and I use the beta as my daily driver.

3. Booger Muncher says:

You are wasting your time using Feedback Assistant. The 2 developers Apple has left to work on OS x don’t care what you think. They are too engrossed in changing all the icons to something flat and boring. My dog could poo out better designs than the crap they are giving us in Yo.

Wait until the successor to Yosemite comes out, we’ll lose the GUI altogether and be back to using the Command Line for everything. For the record, the font looks great on my 27″ non-Apple, non-Retina display.

Apple really should close up and return the money to investors.

4. BDK says:

Apple is about to be reminded why they don’t do public betas.

5. Josh says:

I do t have an issue with the font – I like it on my 15″ MBP non retina.

The icons look good but add zero functionality, bug wise other than the known issues I’ve sent 5 off for different issues.. But for a beta on a 4year old machine it’s running very smoothly.

6. Raven says:

The beta runs great on my Early 2009 24” iMac. I don’t mind the fonts at all. In general I find the new UI refreshing. I’m happy to see the shiny glassy things go!

There’s some nice new features in Yosemite.

7. Ed Gonzalez says:

Font daemon is 100% correct about Helvetica. It was never designed as a display face. So I find it strange for Apple to use it. Here’s an excellent article by renowned type designer Tobias Fere-Jones on the use of Helvetica:

8. brian says:

i like most of the new Yosemite features and have had only a few minor issues

i would love the ability to revert to the 3D dock if the user wished then people could have the best of both worlds.

running on a Early 2009 24” iMac.

9. Chris says:

I’m confused. This is the second time I’ve heard something about no Dashboard in Yosemite. I still have it.

• Phera says:

Widgets are now included in the Notification Center, the assumption is that Dashboard itself will be kaput in the process.

10. Keefe says:

My Wi-Fi has stopped working. Can’t do much without Internet.

11. Ozgur says:

I hate of all Yosemite new design, fonts, icons, window buttons.. everything is so bad

• clabac says:

I don`t like the flat design, I`d prefer the 3D design of the windows and dock. I like more the color of the old folder-icons than the new ones. Hope that Apple will give an opportunity to change them. Then all users can switch to 10.10.

12. Matthew says:

Dashboard was not removed. it it in the other folder in the launchpad

13. goriarell says:

Please apple: keep the mavericks dock,launchpad and mission control on Yosemite. The system will be and look so much better and it will be more efficient that way too. At least keep in consideration to make the dock switchable between 2d & 3d that way you will please more people and bring in new users to the Mac world. Your system is indeed the world’s most advanced OS. Please, keep our favorite apps onboard. Your customers will really appreciate them. Thanks. :)