MacOS Catalina Compatibile Macs List

Jun 4, 2019 - 23 Comments

MacOS Catalina supported Macs

Want to know if a particular Mac can run MacOS Catalina 10.15?

While many Macs will support MacOS Catalina, The next major feature rich Mac operating system which is due this fall, not every single computer out there will run the release.

Fortunately, the compatible Macs list for MacOS Catalina is pretty forgiving, as you’ll see in the full supported Macs list below.

The good news is that if your Mac is currently running MacOS Mojave then it will almost certainly run and support MacOS Catalina 10.15.

MacOS Catalina Compatibility List of Supported Macs

MacOS Catalina 10.15 is compatible with the following Macs:

• MacBook Pro (mid 2012 and newer)
  • MacBook Air (mid 2012 and newer)
  • MacBook (early 2015 and later)
  • iMac (late 2012 or newer)
  • iMac Pro (2017 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (late 2013 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (late 2012 or newer)

Not sure what your particular Mac is? Here’s how you can find out what model a Mac is, and also how to find out when the Mac was made.

As you may have noticed, the MacOS Catalina supported Mac list is basically the same as the Macs that were able to run MacOS Mojave, except it’s currently unknown if the Mac Pro mid 2010 and Mac Pro mid 2012 models with Metal GPU are able to run MacOS Catalina (if you happen to know the answer to that, drop a note in the comments below).

Basically every Mac that was introduced from mid-2012 onward supports MacOS Catalina 10.15, so as long as your Mac was released from then on, it’s probably good to go.

This information comes directly from Apple via the MacOS Catalina preview page, where Apple shows the following compatibility chart for MacOS Catalina 10.15:

MacOS Catalina compatible Macs list

Note that some features of MacOS Catalina will require iPadOS 13 to be installed on a compatible iPad as well, including features like Sidecar, which allows iPad to serve as a second screen for a Mac.

If you’re an iPhone or iPad user you can review the list of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 compatible iPhone and iPad models here.

Currently MacOS Catalina is in developer beta, with a public beta set to be released in July, and the final version to be released in the Fall.

Posted by: Paul Horowitz in Mac OS X, Tips & Tricks, Troubleshooting

1. Guido Binek says:

MacPro 5.1 with Metal Graphics card is NOT supported and actively blocked via software.

2. DIANA KASSIR says:

A huge issue for me is my installed Photoshop,
    which will be incompatible on MacOS Catalina, so I won’t be updating.

• Louie says:

Oh I wouldn’t be worried. That’s Adobe’s software, I’m sure they will update Photoshop to 64 bit by the time the final version of MacOS Catalina is released in September, just not during the beta period. Too many people use Photoshop for Adobe not to update it.

• Random Person says:

I think she’s talking about an old version of Photoshop. Surely, the newest one is 64-bit.

• Kidgewick says:

What’s the rush to update anyway? If your system works as it is now for you, why bother updating at all?

The most interesting feature of Catalina is Sidecar which depends on an iPad with iPadOS 13, but that’s probably only useful for artists.

Anyone else if you want a second display on the Mac, get an external 24″ monitor for $140 and your productivity will be much improved, and that works with every system version of Mac.

3. Desit says:

You can enable Sidecar iPad on older Macs that run macOS Catalina with a terminal command apparently:

defaults write com.apple .sidecar.display allowAllDevices -bool YES

4. Nick says:

Per thread below, About My Mac does not show the year built for me either. Just says the MoJave version and that it is a MacBook Air. Several reader comments in the linked article also had the same experience. Foolproof way is to go to the Apple site where you input your serial number. That ALWAYS works.

• Ian says:

Guys the model year of the Mac is right next to the model name in Mojave, so if your Mac says MacBook Pro it will say MacBook Pro (2018) next to that with the year it was made too.

Go to Apple menu > About this Mac > scan the Overview section for the Mac model and the model year, it will say something like (2018) or (2015) next to the computer name in Mojave.

• Nick says:

In About My Mac, for me it just says MacBook Air, there is no year stated after that. Then then below that it lists the Processor, Memory, etc. Again, no year after the model.

• Louie says:

Maybe you have the most recent MacBook Air model to date or maybe there’s a bug affecting some computers running macOS 10.14.5. I have an older MacBook Air and it does say “MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)” when I go to About this Mac, right below the macOS version (I’m running Mojave 10.14.5 too, the latest to date).

• Boris says:

I have the 2018 MacBook Air and it says the model date next to the model name in About this Mac.

I think there must be a bug on some computers, makes me wonder what year is effected.

But if you bought your Mac after 2012 it sounds like it will run macOS Catalina, so if it’s running Mojave now it should run Catalina too.

• Nick says:

Doesn’t show year for me.

• Ian says:

Is there maybe a bug in macOS Mojave for some Macs is not showing the year of the computer? Are you on macOS 10.14.5?

On every Mac I own I can see the year made in About This Mac, and I have two right here on macOS Mojave, and macOS Sierra.

• Daniel says:

You can also find Make and Model information in the system profiler in the Hardware overview section.

Apple Menu, About this mac, System Report button, Hardware.

Further down the page under Software, you can find information about the OS version as well.

5. MikeG says:

Catalina will not support 32-bit peripherals. I have a couple of peripherals that are 32-bit, and the manufacturers are not upgrading to 64-bit drivers. Hence – I can’t move to Catalina unless I’m willing to spend hundreds of $$$ on new peripherals to replace the perfectly good ones I have now. Won’t be upgrading anytime soon.

6. Sam Sarin says:

Mojave, macOS 10.14.x, is the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps. Catalina will run only 64-bit apps. Appreciating the significance of this may be as important as knowing whether your Mac can run Catalina as updating apps can be very costly.

• Paul says:

This is an excellent point.

You can find 32-bit apps on a Mac by going to System Profiler:

If a critical app to your workflow is 32-bit, you might want to avoid MacOS Catalina.

• arrnolddd says:

Yes, this may be a huge issue for many people. And I hope enough awareness of this gets out before people start upgrading and finding out after the fact that one or more apps they’re dependent on doesn’t work any more.

I’m not planning on doing this upgrade – the first new mac OS I’ll be skipping, at least until the apps I rely on are upgraded.

7. Gordon says:

Doesn’t seem to be true for all. Running a MacBook Air with Mojave 10.14.5. When I click the Apple icon on the Menu Bar, and the About This Mac, all it says is macOS Mohave, and below that Version 10.14.5.

Nothing about the year of the MBA. So this article is not true or current IMO.

• Jared Young says:

Gordon, this article discusses macOS Catalina compatible Mac computers, and the information is the same on the Apple Developer website so the only thing that doesn’t seem to be true is your comment.

Also, you can 100% guaranteed find the make and model year of your Mac in the About This Mac screen of MoJave.

Why don’t you read the article, or open About This Mac again and review that information before posting presumptive inaccurate comments that are quite frankly rude.

• Gordon says:

Well I didn’t intend to be rude, so if I am I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent. I did read the article and I did open About this Mac on my machine.

As I said, when I click the Apple icon on the Menu Bar, and the About This Mac, all it says is macOS Mojave, and below that Version 10.14.5. Nothing about the make and year as show by the link in the main article. I would send you a snippet here if I knew how.

Further down it says MacBook Air. But no year.

• Marcy says:

Gordon, Catalina is in Beta release right now available to developers. You should be able to update to Catalina via the Apple icon in the autumn when the general release is available.