How to Add AppleCare+ Warranty to iPad or iPhone
AppleCare Plus is an extended warranty program available for iPad and iPhone. If you have recently bought an iPhone or iPad, you can add AppleCare+ within 60 days of that devices purchase.
AppleCare+ Plus will provide 24 months of tech support, repair, and replacement coverage for an iPad or iPhone, along with major components that are included with the device. You can even use the extended warranty to cover accidental damage for an additional fee, so for example if you dropped an iPhone and the screen is broken, that type of damage would be covered by the accidental damage fee which is almost always notably cheaper than replacing the screen without the AppleCare Plus plan.
There are several ways to add AppleCare+ to an iPhone, Pad, iPad Pro, iPad Air, or iPad mini.
Buying AppleCare at Time of Original Purchase
Perhaps the simplest way of adding AppleCare to a new device is during the standard checkout process, and the clerk will usually ask you to add the warranty if you’re in a store, and if you’re checking out online you will find it as an option to add the AppleCare+ coverage there too. But not everyone does that when they’re buying a new iPhone or iPad, but as long as you’re within the 60 day window you can find other methods of buying AppleCare+ coverage.
Buy AppleCare for iPhone or iPad in Settings App
The next simplest way to add AppleCare to an iPhone or iPad is through the device Settings, it will be available as an option as long as the device was purchased within the last 60 days:
- Open the “Settings” app
- Tap on “AppleCare+ Coverage Available” *
- Click on “Continue” to start adding AppleCare+ coverage for the iPhone or iPad
- Tap to choose the AppleCare+ coverage warranty plan to buy for your iPhone or iPad
- Continue through the AppleCare+ checkout process to order AppleCare for the device, this requires you to submit a diagnostic report to Apple
Once you have ordered AppleCare+, your iPhone or iPad will be covered for 24 months for repair issues and accidental damage (with an additional service fee).
* Under the “AppleCare+ Coverage Available” option you will see the remaining time that is allotted for you to purchase AppleCare for that device. You have 60 days from the time of purchase to buy AppleCare+ Coverage for an iPhone or iPad.
Other Ways to Buy AppleCare+ Coverage Warranty for iPhone & iPad
- Order AppleCare online for your device here at apple.com
- Visit an Apple Store in person
- Call Apple Support at 1-800-275-2273
No matter how you purchase AppleCare, if you are buying it after you already bought an iPad or iPhone you will need to run a remote diagnostic on the device.
If you’re interested in learning more about AppleCare Plus, you can read more about AppleCare for iPad here at apple.com and learn more about AppleCare for iPhone here at apple.com
It’s worth mentioning that some insurance plans and even credit cards will offer warranty-type services for damage to an iPhone or iPad, but those vary widely based on individual plans and providers. Nonetheless it may be worth looking into if either is applicable to you and your devices, either as a supplement to or an alternative to an AppleCare+ warranty coverage plan.