iPad 2 Availability
Update, May 8: Apple Stores continue to get shipments in daily, they go on sale first thing in the morning. These tend to sell out very quickly, you should call in the morning to verify stock before showing up but generally speaking, the earlier you get there the better. If you’re looking for a specific model, Apple is telling customers to “check back every morning” as shipments arrive frequently. From personal experience, it’s very hard to get one on the weekend unless you go early in the morning.
Update 2: Some stores reportedly have limited stock of select models but they too sell out quickly, check iPad 2 stock in your area by calling your local stores! Variations of the Verizon iPad 2 seem to be the most easy model to find.
Update 3: Some Toys ‘R Us locations are now selling the iPad 2 WiFi models, these are likely sold out so call to verify.
Update 4: Online orders through the Apple Store are now down to 1-2 week delivery time, if you don’t want to deal with calling and waiting in line, this may be the way to go.
The demand for iPad 2 is through the roof which is going to make getting the tablet in the first few weeks a challenge. iPad 2 has sold out almost immediately in many stores, and the most popular and hardest to get model is iPad 2 16GB in both colors. If you aren’t picky about color or the exact model you get, you may still be able to get an iPad 2 in this period of highly constrained supply.
Here’s what we currently know about the availability of iPad 2. We’ll update this list as we get more information.
Online iPad 2 Availability
Currently, the fastest delivery for online orders is the AT&T online store with iPad 2 3G models, otherwise:
- Apple Online Store: delivery and shipping is now 1-2 weeks
- AT&T Wireless Online: iPad 2 3G models will ship in over a week, depending on model
- Verizon Online: iPad 2 3G models sold only by phone or in stores
Regardless of where you order online, it’s going to take a while to get the device shipped to you. If you want one right now, get in line at a retail store…
Retail iPad 2 Availability
- Apple Store: Sells out daily, some have limited stock, call to verify at local stores
- Best Buy: generally sold out, but will take pre-orders, call to verify
- Walmart: often sold out, call to verify stock
- Sams Club: sold out
- Target: small shipments arrive periodically, call to verify
- AT&T Wireless: sells out quickly, only carrying GSM 3G models
- Verizon Wireless: sold out, only carrying CDMA 3G models
Don’t want to order online and wait for delivery? AND you don’t want to wait in line at a local store? Your next option is the resale market, it doesn’t come cheap…
iPad 2 Availability on the Resale Market
If you don’t mind paying highly inflated prices, you’ll be able to get an iPad 2 right away on the resale market
- Ebay: base iPad 2 models are already selling for $900+ with immediate delivery, these are likely sold from people waiting in line looking to turn a quick profit
- Craigslist: prices vary but those waiting in line are already listing their iPad 2′s, prices are marked up at least $150-$300 each
Of course, if you don’t want to get caught up in the initial launch hype all you need to do is wait a month or two, and you should be able to just walk into any Apple Store or retailer and get a new iPad without a hassle.