iPhone 4 price without contract
I’ve had multiple people ask me “How much does it cost to get an iPhone 4 without the attached two year contract?”, and I always tell them the same thing: it’s not cheap. Here is the pricing structure for iPhone 4 without contract:
- iPhone 4 16GB without contract: $599
- iPhone 4 32GB without contract: $699
This price data is directly from AT&T and applies to both the White iPhone 4 and the Black iPhone 4. Interestingly enough, you can actually still buy the iPhone 3GS without a contract too, but it comes at a cost of $499 which makes the iPhone 4 seem like a much better deal for $100 more considering all the additional new features. Here is the cost chart from AT&T, you can see the price of iPhone 4 without contract in the highlighted “NO COMMITMENT” column on the right hand side.
The reason the iPhone 4 is so expensive without the two year contract commitment is that it isn’t subsidized by the carrier (in this case, AT&T), so you have to pay the full premium price to get the phone. The iPhone 4 price goes down dramatically when you do sign onto the two year commitment, at $199 and $299 for the 16GB and 32GB models respectively.
The “no commitment/no contract” price does not mean the iPhone 4 comes unlocked, that just means it is without the two year service agreement from AT&T. This only applies to iPhones sold in the USA though, and many other countries will offer contract-free and unlocked iPhones for sale.
More information on iPhone 4:
- iPhone 4 Price Guide – everything there is to know about the costs of buying an iPhone 4, including the cost of data plans
- Check iPhone Upgrade Eligibility – see if your current AT&T contract allows you to upgrade and at what cost
- iPhone 4 Availability – updated information on where to buy the iPhone