Unlock iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 with Ultrasn0w 1.2.5
Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 has been released and it allows for unlocking some iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 models with older modem firmware versions. Compatible baseband is as follows:
- iPhone 4: 01.59.00
- iPhone 3GS: 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.13.04, 06.15.00
You can check baseband on the iPhone by tapping on Settings > General > About and looking for “Modem Firmware” near the bottom of the About screen.
If your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 has eligible baseband and is already jailbroken, then you can just search Cydia for “ultrasn0w” and download and install the latest version. Reboot the iPhone and you’ll be able to use the new unofficial network. If you’re not sure what to do, follow the instructions below:
How to Unlock iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 with Ultrasn0w
Be sure to confirm baseband firmware before proceeding:
- Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 with redsn0w 0.9.9b9 and then boot the iPhone tethered
- Open Cydia and search for ultrasn0w, installing the ultrasn0w 1.2.5 package onto the iPhone
- Shut off the iPhone and insert the new SIM card from another carrier
- Boot the iPhone tethered using redsn0w again
- Wait for the iPhone to join the new network
Most iPhones won’t be eligible to use this version of ultrasn0w due to the baseband limitation. Keep in mind you can now buy the iPhone 4S unlocked directly from Apple, they aren’t cheap but you won’t have to bother with jailbreaks, software unlocks, or preserving baseband versions between iOS upgrades, and will always be free to use the iPhone on whatever compatible network you have a SIM card for.