iOS 6 IPSW [Direct Download Links]

Sep 19, 2012 - 89 Comments

iOS 6 IPSW

iOS 6 is now available for everyone to download. Most users are best served updating to iOS 6 through OTA or iTunes, but advanced users can upgrade manually with firmware files. This has several advantages, particularly for those upgrading multiple devices in a household or institution, or for those updating from older versions of iOS.

The following firmware links are hosted directly by Apple, using IPSW files requires iTunes. You will want to have the latest version of iTunes installed before attempting a direct firmware update with IPSW.

Regardless of how you decide to upgrade to iOS 6, just remember to back up first. The likelihood of something going wrong is slim but it’s better safe than sorry.

Posted by: Matt Chan in iPad, iPhone

1. Marcus says:

What is the difference between Iphone 4 (3,2) and the other Iphone 4 updates?

• Raghav says:

Exactly.. other sites are listing iPhone4 (3,2) as GSM which is wrong.
      iPhone 4 (3,1) – GSM
      iPhone 4 (3,2) – ??
      iPhone 4 (3,3) – CDMA

I tried iPhone4 (3,2) for my GSM handset and it gave me incompatible firmware error.

2. Scott says:

I believe the iPad 3 GSM and CDMA versions are swapped. Isn’t the iPad 3 LTE GSM version the iPad 3,3? and the CDMA version the iPad 3,2?

3. Alex says:

You guys posted the same garbage everyone else did – the DMG files, not IPSW.

• TechButton says:

just change the extension to ispw and it will work.. the ispw is just a dmg file with a different extension..

• Marc says:

Which file do I change though? There are many! You would think they would have already had them as ipsw files considering thats what they are listing them here for

4. Jonathan says:

I wonder where people get these links.

Where did you get it?

5. Ben says:

Hi. I installed the iOS 6 GM last week? Is this update 100% the same as that? When I click on update it tells me that its up to date so assuming it is but wanted to check. Thanks

6. b0bby says:

How to jailbreak ??

7. Stuart Duncan says:

The iPad 3 GSM and CDMA files are swapped.

iPad3,2 = CDMA
    iPad3,3 = GSM

8. Russ says:

Just got a 3GS for my daughter (second hand) updated it, got code 1015 so guess was previously jalibroken. Will d/l this newest file ipsw save it or need some other miracle?

9. pn2bade says:

So is the iPhone 4S one here for all of the iPhone 4S models (GSM and CDMA)?

10. iphonepro says:

the difference between Iphone 4 (3,2) and iphone 4 gsm (3,1) and iphone 4 cdma (3,3) ???
    please help?

11. Ahmed says:

I have download iPhone 4s ios6 and it gives error while restore now my iphone stuck on recovery mode. iPhone 4s users please don’t download from this link otherwise you will kill your time and lose your data too.

• manish says:

i am also having the same problem…. are u able to fix it… if yes… then then share with me the fix…….my ipod is kind of dead right now… help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. yashdrocks says:

What the hell
    downloaded iPad GSM ipsw which isnt working
    iTunes update is also freakin not working

13. Akash says:

Hey guys dont blame these people blame apple as these files are from Apple servers not osxdaily’s they cant do anything

14. NIKHIL says:

does it work with ipad 2 gsm??

15. Sakib says:

update for iPhone 4s work but my speaker is not working. Though I can listen through my headphone.

16. James says:

I was updating my iPod Touch OTA to iOS 6, and it ended up showing the Connect to iTunes screen, which is weird because that kind of gets rid of the whole OTA idea, but it was fine since I have a MacBook with 10.8.2. Anyway, I ended up having to restore it and my latest backup was from August 9th, so that kind of pissed me off. I just don’t understand why that happened. It’s not jailbroken or anything like that, by the way.

• jess says:

james did you lose all yur songs and photos? my itouch is showing the connect to i tunes and i dont have itunes on new computer.. nothing is backed up. do you think i will lose everything?? im scared!!

• Sherwin Pereira says:

yes you will lose everything you idiot always make a backup before you update. Didn’t you read at the top?
        ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP AND SYNC YOUR iDEVICE WITH iTUNES.

17. Xander says:

Hello Guys,

I am not sure how to download one IPSW file with extension ‘.IPSW’. I want to preserve the BB by using redsn0w – 0.9.14b2.

Can someone help me in that?

18. Kleeko says:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

I just tried the iPhone 4 update, and it crashed while updating due to an unknown error, phone is in restore mode, this is a mess.

19. Jack D says:

Thanks too you, I downloaded IPSW file for iPhone 4S with download manager fast. Where should I copy it to have iTunes used it??

Tnx

20. rahul says:

How to install direct download ios 6

• turbo50t says:

in iTunes once your phone is identified simply hold down Shift key and select restore. Go to the directory your ipsw file is in and select it. Then your upgrade to iOS 6 will start

21. Sean Collins says:

when I replay all on ios 6 it also replies to me, is filling my inbox up with replies.

Never did that before and I cannot for the life of me find a setting. Can someone tell me how to correct that?

22. Beav45 says:

attempted to upgrade IPAD 2, to OS 6 —-now screen only shows Apple logo, computer does not recognize, ITunes does not recognize – nothing works!

23. Rahul says:

downloaded this dosent work says unknown error 14 when restoring now my phone is stuck in recovery mode anyone know how to fix it :(

24. AhnSe says:

How can I use it? Help me!

25. kevyn g says:

wat is the difference between iphone (3,2), GSM, CDMA??? please explain.

26. Leppa says:

Dmg File asking for a password?
    What is it?

27. Issac says:

so, which one do i download if i have the iphone 4 running off ios 6?

28. Amerist says:

These links are from Apple. If you look at the source URL you can see that pretty clearly so any of you having problems with the content of the firmware file should either re-download or take it up with apple. Yes, the iPad 3,3 file should be marked as the GSM ipsw and not the CDMA. I can confirm that the iPhone 4S GSM and iPhone 4 GSM ipsw files are working. Again if you are having problems, you probably got a corrupted download. It happens.

29. Forhad says:

I cannot understand whats wrong with iOS 6 ipsw firmware for iPhone 4 (GSM). Every time I click download, i got a file of 1980KB only by which i couldn’t update my phone. I was also trying to download the iOS from my apple device but it shows error on the middle of download. I also tried to update my phone through iTunes but there is also a same problem like the first problem(1980KB File size and it shows error after download). So what can I do now?

30. Sam says:

my ios 6 has been not worked and when i connect to itunes it only says “sim is not compatible” what should i do????

31. Deion says:

i cannot jailbreak my ipod 4th generation ios 6 i tried everything it keep saying it cannot build HELP

32. McGyver says:

Both iTunes and snowbreeze says the ipsw files I downloaded from here are corrupted. What to do?

• Dbrer says:

The IPSW are hosted by Apple, they are certainly not corrupted. You need to right-click and Save As, it’s a .ipsw file not a .zip file. Use a different browser.

33. McGyver says:

Thanks, must be my iphone thats faulty.
    I tried to change the extention, but the phone wont accept anything

34. Liam says:

I’m trying to restore and update a second hand iPhone 3GS. I’ve changed the file extensions of the files from .dmg to .ipsw but I’m getting an incompatible firmware error when I try to update in iTunes. Help?

35. Valentino says:

To all having problems with downloading. Can I recommend that you use a download manager. If you are using mac, get igetter and if you are using windows get FDM (free download manager). They support resume. If you are anywhere like I am (South Africa) during a download like this I can get up to 20 disconnects, a download manager stops this and keeps the file integrity. My two cents worth. Good luck

36. Sarwar says:

Please im downloaded ios 4.3.3 and now my iphone 3gs is stuck in rocovery how can i fix it ?????

37. Jean says:

Hi
    When restoring my iphone 5 to ios 6 with your ipsw file using itunes, it gives me firmware errror y?
    Help
    Reply thx

38. pawan says:

i downloadthis ios and tried to install but i could not insall,,itunesagain tried to download,,,

39. pawan says:

when i tried to install this ios6 , the itunes opened and again starting dowloads this ios 6 .

40. idais says:

how can i know if my iphone 4 gsm or cdma

41. Innocent Iruka says:

Hello guys… can i unlock my Iphone4 with this with the restore file?? or is there other software that enable me do that??

42. Hanymeer says:

Hey guys….I have got iPhone 4 currently running on
    iOS 4.3.3 and want upgrade it to iOS 6 and everytime I try to do it from iTunes 10.7 update thing it disconnects my 3G net connection and it happens in both cases either in update or in restore…how can I do the update now please help

43. mega says:

6 Ios ipsw. Downloaded its not zip its many files with other file extentins.must i rename all to ipsw or winzip file then. Ipsw. That didnt work either

44. MEG says:

I am using a mac and I tether the iPhone 4 but I can’t do it on my iPhone 4s. It’s says the IPSW can’t go with the version of redsn0w 0.9.15b3. Can anyone help me please!?

45. Jill says:

I got the iphone 4s one but when i went to put it in on the redsn0w thing it said this is only availible on 4 3gs and 3

46. Jordan says:

Tried to downgrade my iPhone 5 GSM from 6.0.2 back to 6.0.1 but I get this error when trying to select the ipsw file: “iphone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible” What am I doing wrong?

47. Jordan says:

The iPhone 5 GSM and CDMA links are swapped as well. Works for me now. Managed to downgrade back to 6.0.1

48. Vinny says:

can not jailbreak ip 3gs, when i try to use redsnow, it says missing file build, can anyone help plz? followed instructions on this website but can’t seem to get it.

49. SAURABH says:

i download the IPHONE 4 GSM file, but i don’t know how to install it to my phone.
    please help

50. rommel says:

yeah i have to say that you did leave out some key things ,, it shouldnt be this hard ,, never was b4 ,

51. Tayler says:

Whenever I click on any of the links it just says waiting for appldnld.apple.com….. Any clue how to fix? Happens for any of these direct download links and iTunes is wayyyy to slow so I’d prefer a direct download.

52. Puneet says:

I am trying to update my Iphone 3GS and Iphone4, i am getting error code 3194.

How to come out of this error and how can i update my IOS.

53. akshay says:

i’hv a iphone 3gs just updated it to os 6.0, now it is saying cannot activate iphone and on the left top no services

what to do?

• PERSON says:

To fix this you can just restore your iPhone if you have a recent backup (1 day – 2 weeks) but if you don’t, you have to downgrade to last update. If this doesn’t work, try another forum. This usually works but doesn’t work every time from luck.

My sources: I had all iPhone types and jail-broke them all and this happened to me to the first two iPhones.

54. Den says:

Hi I am trying to download Firmware 6.00 for my iphone 3Gs but cant seem to get the right file.The other files have an icon as at the top of this page..i.e. a dice,or cube. when I do a search in RedSnow to use the one I downloaded it cannot find the correct file but the otherones are showing. Its driving me nuts. What am I doing wrong.Cheers and thanks in An———–ti——ci—————pation. ;-)

55. open the link in google chrome and download it. I am successful. thanks…