Unjailbreak an iPhone
So you’ve decided that you want to reverse the jailbreak on your iPhone, no big deal. All jailbreaks are reversible. You can easily unjailbreak an iPhone by using the Restore functionality within iTunes, and then you can restore your apps, contacts ,and iPhone customization to the device as well.
It’s a two-stage process and you won’t lose any of your data except for the Cydia apps and anything related to the jailbreak itself (which is why you are undoing the jailbreak in the first place, right?).
How to Unjailbreak an iPhone
It is a simple process to undo a jailbreak on an iPhone (or iPod touch and iPad). Here are the exact steps to unjailbreak and then restore your iPhones data:
- Connect the jailbroken iPhone to your computer and open iTunes
- In the left iTunes column, select your iPhone
- Under the Summary tab, you’ll see a ‘Restore’ button – click this to start the unjailbreak process
- A message will pop up asking if you’d like to backup your iPhone, click yes and let the backup and restore process go
- Your iPhone will automatically restart itself when it is finished restoring, you will then be asked if you want to restore from backup – click Yes if you want to restore all your non-jailbreak related apps and iPhone customization to the iPhone
- When the backup and restore is complete, your jailbreak has been reversed and your iPhone is no longer jailbroken!
This process works the same on iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch, and even iPad, running any version of iPhone OS or iOS 4.
If you ever want to redo the jailbreak, JailbreakMe is an easy iPhone jailbreak that works for pre-iOS 4 and is done entirely on your iPhone through the Safari browser and requires no syncing to iTunes. Past iOS 4 you will want to use something like greenpois0n, limera1n, or pwnagetool. Reversing these is just as simple as any other unjailbreak process.
Note: If you have created custom IPSW firmware packages with something like PwnageTool, you will need to select a fresh IPSW file to restore to instead of the customized IPSW that was created by Pwnage. You can download iPhone firmware & IPSW files if this is the case.